6.15.2009

Khao Soi: My Kick-Ass Curry Wins Again!

I know I promised a beer-braised beef recipe. It's on the way, I swear! But first, big exciting news: My signature Thai curry noodle dish won another cooking competition!

When I heard that Matt Timms was hosting a Curry Take-Down I hesitated for a minute about whether or not to make this again. You might recall that I made a similar dish for last year's Ramen-Off hosted by The Brooklyn Kitchen. I thought about it and decided to go for it. After all, Khao Soi is my signature dish. I make it all the time at home and it's a huge crowd pleaser. Rich, spicy and satisfying, the thick curry and coconut milk broth clings to skinny egg noodles and sliced chicken. Pickled mustard greens and onions add a tart crunch against the heat. Every bowl can be customized with traditional toppings like scallions, cilantro, crunchy fried noodles and roasted chile oil. So what if I'd entered it once before? I'd bring it back bigger, better and bolder than before! Curry on!

To make this now two-time award winning dish, I adapted a recipe from Hot, Sour, Salty, Sweet by Jeffrey Alford and Naomi Duguid. I use a quick-pickle recipe that I learned from a friend who owns a Thai restaurant in Alaska. (Yes, Alaska.) He also recommended the brand of coconut milk that I use, Chaokoh. It's the real secret to a superior khao soi - lesser brands result in watery, separated broth without the flavor and incredible mouthfeel of a great curry that you want to pick up and drink down in great gulps. I'm serious, it's so good.



Here's a link to the recipe from my previous post. Instead of ramen noodles, I used fresh Hong Kong style egg noodles. I boiled them for about 2 1/2 minutes and then rinsed them with cold water to stop the cooking. Then I tossed them with a drizzle of sesame oil to keep them from sticking together.

There are some awesome pics over at the Chili Take-Down site by Natasha Ryan of Metromix. These will also explain why at the spur of the moment I named my dish "Meow Khao Soi." (Hint: the apron.)

Finally, the sweet side of this spicy Take-Down was to raise money for the Women's Education Project. Check it out! Get involved! Eat curry!

4 comments:

anna said...

Congratulations! I love love love coconut curry, and I am definitely trying your recipe.

tastestopping said...

Curry on, indeed! Congrats on the win. Your specific recommendations on brands is particularly helpful to someone like me (a curry newbie)...still might be a challenge to find some of the ingredients. (Do you have a sesame oil you recommend?)

I found you on TasteSpotting and am writing to say that if you have any photos that aren’t accepted there, I’d love to publish them. Visit my new site (below), it’s a lot of fun! I hope you will consider it.

Best,
Casey
Editor
www.tastestopping.wordpress.com

Catherine said...

Everytime I see your kao soi, I promise to make it and then forget. Maybe I should start by pickling some mustard greens and then I will have a good excuse.
Yum yum!

George said...

Wow...just made this...fantastic...loved every drop and definately going in my top recipe's!!!